Prior to 1906, a small chapel stood at the corner of Middlesex Avenue (Rt 27) and William Street in Metuchen. A millinery shop occupied the building. In 1906, the property was sold to James A. Pettit. Mr. Pettit converted the chapel to a funeral home and operated the business by himself until around 1925, when his brother-in-law, Arthur K. Hillpot, became a partner. Mr. Hillpot had been a contractor in Bound Brook. The funeral home was known as "Pettit and Hillpot".
About 1932, Mr. Hillpot bought the business from Mr. Pettit and operated as Hillpot Funeral Home. Around 1935, Mr. Hillpot tore down the chapel and built the corner section of the present edifice. The original chapel windows were salvaged and installed in The Church of Jesus Christ, which was erected at the corner of Durham Avenue and Hampton Street in Metuchen.
In 1939, Fred F. Runyon came to work for Mr. Hillpot as an apprentice. After serving in the Army during World War II, he returned to Metuchen. Upon the death of Mr. Hillpot, Fred and Barbara Lee (Icenbarger) Runyon purchased the business using the name Hillpot-Runyon Funeral Home. In 1955, the name was changed to Runyon Mortuary. In 1960, Mr. & Mrs. Runyon built the William Street addition.
In 1992, Joseph V. Costello, III, "Jay", and his wife Suzanne purchased the property, which is now known as Costello-Runyon Funeral Home. In 2001, they oversaw major renovations and a 7,000 square foot addition was completed, along with an additional parking area. Although the name has changed over the years, Costello-Runyon Funeral home still strives to uphold the firm's founding principle of providing dignified, professional and compassionate care to the families who call upon them. The firm provides many options for funeral, memorial, burial and cremation services in welcoming, caring and safe environment.
In 1954 Thomas J. Costello established the Thomas Joseph Costello Funeral Home at 200 Cooper Ave. in the Iselin section of Woodbridge Township. The original part of the building was the dairy barn for Cooper’s Dairy Farm. The farm encompassed most of what today is Metro Park Train Station and Office Complexes. The building, through the years was expanded and modernized. For many years Tom resided on top of the funeral home. He was a member of many organizations including The Iselin Fire Co., The American Legion, and St. Cecelia’s Knights of Columbus, to name a few. He is also a member of many area bowling leagues.
In 2010, after 56 years of owning and managing the funeral home it was only natural that Tom chose to keep the business in the Costello family selling it to his nephew Jay. The name was changed to The Costello-Runyon Funeral Home.